Community > Lawn and Garden

Misty white mold in my garden

Posted by:

I recently started a vegetable garden using potting soil and organic blood meal. Things were going well until a week after transplanting them. The outside temperature suddenly plummeted and I was forced to keep them inside for a week. I made the novice mistake of overwatering them and a misty white mold began appearing on the surface of the dirt. It turns out that this kind of mold thrives in organic soils since the dirt contains no pesticides. Suddenly my carrots were dropping like flies and the bell peppers weren’t too far behind.

How did I alleviate the situation?

I discovered online that you can spray the area with a solution of 1-part fresh milk and 10-parts water. If you spray it twice a week and allow the soil to dry out a bit, it really works! According to what I found online, milk is a natural herbicide…. It makes me wonder if I should still drink milk.

I only sprayed them once and placed the pots in front of a space heater overnight for two nights. This helped the bell peppers tremendously, and I managed to hold on to a few carrot plants. I had a few more casualties over the next three days, but everything else is back on the growing track.

What did I learn this time around?

• Don’t be deceived by early Spring temperatures
    • Don’t over water
Send to Kindle

Kayley Wagner
More about Kayley Wagner

During the spring of 2012, I had the urge to start a vegetable garden. From my first bean plant, which perished prematurely when I was six, to my little pine tree, which didn’t survive the first three months in my college dorm room, I’ve wanted to prove that I inherited my Grandpa Mount’s green thumb. Even though I chose to start my garden during the longest drought in Indiana history in decades, my plants managed to produce a few tomatoes and radishes. This gave me the motivational drive to do what I can to learn gardening.

Read more posts by Kayley Wagner

Read more from: Community Posts > Lawn and Garden

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current month ye@r day *