Encyclopedia & FAQ's
DIY Frequently Asked Questions / Expansion Shield')">
Also known as lead shield.
- Used with lag and machine bolts.
- As the bolt is tightened, the cone draws up through a slotted sleeve and expands against the interior of the drilled hole with great force.
- Requires no caulking and is excellent for heavy holding of problem material such as cement, cinder blocks, hollow tile and other concrete mixes.
- Requires a large hole. Use a power drill and masonry bit.
- Use short lengths in good-grade concrete or where thickness limits the length. Use long lengths in poorer-grade concrete where extra anchorage is required.