Encyclopedia & FAQ's
DIY Frequently Asked Questions / Retractable-Blade Utility Knife')">
General-use tool designed to cut materials such as drywall, cardboard cartons, laminates and plastic.
- Blade retracts into body of knife for safer operation and storage.
- Some models have up to 3 different blade positions for different cutting depths.
- Higher-end models have rubber grips and ergonomic designs for better gripping.
- Handle generally unscrews or swivels open to permit blade changes.
- Many models have extra blade storage in handle.
- Some models have spring-loaded blades that automatically retract when the knife is released.