Encyclopedia & FAQ's
DIY Frequently Asked Questions / Wall Box')">
Used for housing switches and receptacles.
- Made of metal or plastic and have the capability to be mounted to a wall or stud.
- The holes in the side of the box where the conduit enters the box are called knockouts. In metal boxes, conduit can also be secured to the holes.
- Four-Inch Square and Shallow boxes are other types only 1-1/2“ or 2”deep for places too shallow to mount a standard box.
- A Handy box is surface mounted and has rounded corners for safety.
- A Drywall box has expandable arms and can be mounted on drywall.
- A Plastic box is best for new installation and often has a nail built-in for quick attachment to the stud.
- A Gem box is a commonly made box, usually 2” wide, 3”high and 2-1/2” deep and made of metal. Deeper boxes are available.