If there’s one thing homebuyers love, it’s an updated kitchen. Adding new features and amenities to the kitchen make it more marketable, increase value to your property, and improve your day-to-day life. Even if you don’t plan to list your home for years, upgrading your kitchen is always a smart choice. That’s why, even if you have a small budget to work with, taking on do-it-yourself kitchen projects makes so much sense.
If you’re looking for some inspiration for sprucing up your cooking space without breaking the bank, here are some great, affordable, impactful DIY projects to try!
- Swap out one item. Instead of waiting for a huge chunk of money to revolutionize your kitchen, start changing what you can now. Save for one important swap, like a new sink or a stainless steel fridge to replace the older model. Substitute the old with the new, one item at a time, to slowly and more affordably give your kitchen a fresh feel.
- Brighten the walls. Anything that makes your home look and feel bigger is a powerful way to help it sell. To make the most of your kitchen’s square footage, paint the dark walls with bright, light colors.
- Paint the cabinets. Another great DIY kitchen upgrade is painting the cabinets. All you need are some sandpaper, paintbrushes, primer and paint to breathe fresh life into your kitchen’s space.
- Customize the cabinets. Make stock cabinets look custom by adding special features like new trim, a plate rack and/or a built-in shelf for holding cookware. These little touches can turn generic cabinetry into a real showpiece.
- Install recessed lighting. If your older kitchen has a flat ceiling, it probably has a few light fixtures mounted to its surface; updating it to recessed lighting is a powerful way to bring it into more modern times. Doing so will require that you remove those old fixtures, install recessed lights, and repair the ceiling afterward.
- Upgrade pendant lights. Replace old-fashioned ceiling lights with sleek models to create an entirely different look in your kitchen!
- Add a tile backsplash. As transformative as it is affordable, a new kitchen backsplash can truly renew a kitchen. Whether you go with a classic white subway tile or an intricate pattern of stone tile, you can add a wonderful style to your kitchen with a new backsplash.
- Get new drawer pulls. A simple and easy way to update the old-looking cabinets is with new knobs and pulls. Pick a contemporary style to revive your space.
- Upgrade your sink faucet. Get rid of your old faucet and replace it with an upgraded model with a detachable sprayer or another cool feature. Whether you prefer a traditional or modern style, a new faucet is always a plus.
- Update the countertops. Exchanging old laminate countertops with a solid-surface option goes a long way toward enhancing your home. Even if you can’t afford new counters, there are lots of ways to give existing ones a fresh look. Try restoring your counters by sanding, painting and sealing them in a way that mimics the look of granite, marble or concrete—you get an impressive new look without a big price tag.
Whether you’re planning to stay in your home forever or are hoping to list it soon, making small and simple changes in the kitchen is a smart investment. Use the tips above to plan your kitchen upgrades, and add the kind of value both you and potential buyers will love.