Inspiration > Family Spaces, Kitchen & Bath

Protect Yourself From Electrical Hazards At Home

Posted by:


Electricity is both your friend and foe, depending on whether you know how to control it and protect yourself from electrical hazards. It is not an uncommon thing to hear that someone had an electrical accident in their home. Electricity is often a cause of domestic fires in cheaply made or privately rented houses and apartments. To make the lives of you and your family safer, take all the necessary safety measurements to protect your home from various possible electrical hazards. Here is what you can do.

Appliance Signs

If you have a home electrical appliance that frequently gives you shocks, trips a circuit breaker or blows a fuse, then you can be sure that a certain malfunction has happened. When an appliance gives these kind of signs, it’s not a coincidence. Unplug it and discontinue its use in order to prevent further malfunctions. Hire a professional electrician who will detect the malfunction and repair the appliance, making it safe again.

Keep Appliances Away From Water

Placing electrical appliances beside water or moisture is a bad idea. If an appliance somehow got in touch with water (you accidentally dropped it or it fell down), go to the panel board, find the corresponding circuit and shut off power. Otherwise, do not try to retrieve it from the water or unplug it, due to risk of electric shock that might be fatal to you. Once the appliance is away from water and thoroughly dried, call an electrician, who can see whether or not the appliance is safe for further use.

Circuit Breakers & Fuses

You have to use the right-sized ones. If circuit breakers and fuses are not the right size or do not match the circuit specifications, they will frequently show poor performance and fail when you need them the most. When shopping for replacements, check the packages or consult your electrician. Make sure you buy a few extra fuses and circuit breakers for the next unexpected situation.

Avoid Cube Taps

They do seem convenient to use, allowing you to plug more than one appliance into a single outlet. But they also increase the risk of overheated wiring, circuit overload, and fire. If you must use this or any other kind of outlet-stretching device, know how much power the cube tap can handle. Make sure that the collective power requirement of all the devices you plan to plug in does not exceed the device’s power demand limit.

Fix Your Wall Plates

Wall plates protect you from the contact with electrical wiring. If a wall plate is missing or broken, it can be very dangerous, especially in the dark. You may try to find and reach the light switch, but accidentally touch the wiring and get electrocuted or shocked.


Do not treat your power cords roughly, because too much pressure on them can compress the inside wire or damage the insulation, which leads to increasing risks of overheating and fire. Do not nail them down to the floor, and always check whether they are pinched underneath or between pieces of furniture. You should also have a fire fighting unit nearby, in case of fire.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI)

The GFCI is a safety outlet, a device that is able to detect current leakages in electrical circuits (like when an electrical appliance comes in touch with water). When that happens, the GFCI reacts instantaneously by shutting off power to that particular receptacle, thus preventing electrocution, burns, and shock. In contemporary home construction, GFCIs are a requirement anywhere water is in close proximity with electrical outlets. If the house you live in is old, you can install them for a very little cost in your kitchen, bathrooms and garage.

Take every precaution you can in order to prevent coming into contact with electricity. Follow your appliances’ behavior, avoid low-quality powered devices and always fix electrical-related malfunctions. If you are not skilled enough for these kinds of repairs, have a professional electrician do this for you.

Send to Kindle

John Stone
More about John Stone

John Stone is a DIY enthusiast interested in home improvement, sustainability, new technologies, and pretty much all things DIY. He is a regular contributor at SmoothDecorator .

Read more posts by John Stone

Read more from: Inspiration > Family Spaces, Kitchen & Bath

Back to top

10 responses to “Protect Yourself From Electrical Hazards At Home”

  1. Sabir says:

    In all these year we have found more ways of knowing how to hack a snapchat account and this has made me generate any password for any account.

    • Henna says:

      You could try and discover and reach the mild switch, however accidentally contact the wiring and get electrocuted or Help With Coursework Writing greatly surprised. Make certain you buy a few more fuses and circuit breakers for the following unexpected scenario. Strength is often a cause of home fires in cost effectively made or privately rented houses and flats.

  2. Sabir says:

    I have got the clash royale cheats online for the gems and gold.

  3. run 3 says:

    Your decor is wonderful. I enjoyed this space.

  4. I enjoyed your article and I sincerely find your article worth reading for as it helps people to stay away from harm. Thanks for this awesome information!

  5. Wow, this dish looks amazing!

  6. red ball says:

    Mushrooms cooked with wine are soooo delicious, and I love the thought of pairing them polenta. Pinned!!!

  7. majece majece says:

    Information from will help you to get tips about academic paper writing. I had such experience recently so I know what I am talking about

  8. Judy M Bentz says:

    NEVER touch a fallen power line.

  9. Libby Howells says:

    Amazing customer service. Hire Take My Online Class experts to do all or some of your course assignments and let professionals help you earn good grades.
    Take My Online Course

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current month ye@r day *