Encyclopedia & FAQ's
DIY Frequently Asked Questions / Belt Sander')">
Sands using a continuous belt or abrasive material.
- Used for aggressive removal of stock.
- Uses two pulleys, a drive pulley that drives the belt and an idler pulley that guides it.
- Two handles allow the user to push or pull the machine with little effort.
- Comes in sizes of 2-1/2” to 4” wide belts; 3” wide is the most common size.
- Some models have dust collection systems to help control the dust from sanding.
- Most models have an adjustment feature that automatically maintains the belt in the center of the pulley during operation to eliminate belts that wander off the pulleys.
- When using, take care not to gouge or ripple a soft wood surface. This sander can remove material rapidly.
- Use open-coat sandpaper as it is less likely to clog.